Ph.D. Assistant Professor
Office: A120 # 67158
Lab: A113 , A115 # 65441
Welcome to our lab!
We use animal models to study the etiology and pathophysiological changes in major depression, which included changes in hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA axis), orexin systems, and hippocampal neurogenesis. Recently we started to explore the microbiota-gut-brain axis and the potential of using psychobiotics to alleviate depression symptoms. Our long-term goal is to understand the etiology of major depression and develop prevention and new treatment strategies.
Using animal models to study major depression
Explore the etiology and pathophysiological changes of depression, in order to develop new treatment strategies.
- The role of hippocampal neurogenesis in major depression
- The effects of prenatal lipopolysaccharide (LPS)- exposure on the stress response and affective behaviors in offspring
- Orexin system and major depression
- Animal studies of the potential of psychobiotics in the treatment of major depression
- National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University, Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Assistant Professor
- 1991-1997 Ph.D. Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- 1985-1988 Ph.D. Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- 1980-1984 B.Sc. Biology, Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan
- Electrophysiology, Animal behaviors, Major depression research
Liao, J. F., Y. F. Cheng, S. T. You, W. C. Kuo, C. W. Huang, J. J. Chiou, C. C. Hsu, H. M. Hsieh-Li, S. Wang* and Y. C. Tsai* (2020). Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 alleviates neurodegenerative progression in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-induced mouse models of Parkinson's disease. Brain Behav Immun 90: 26-46.
Liao, J. F., Y. F. Cheng, S. W. Li, W. T. Lee, C. C. Hsu, C. C. Wu, O. J. Jeng, S. Wang* and Y. C. Tsai* (2019). Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 ameliorates 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine-induced tic-like behaviors via its influences on the microbiota-gut-brain-axis. Brain Res Bull 153: 59-73.
- Wei, C. L., Wang S., Yen, J.T., Cheng, Y.F., Liao, C.L., Hsu, C.C., Wu, C.C., Tsai, Y.C. (2019) Antidepressant-like activities of live and heat-killed Lactobacillus paracasei PS23 in chronic corticosterone-treated mice and possible mechanisms. Brain Res. 1711: 202-213.
- Liu, C.-P., Wu, T.-H., Lin, Y.-L., Wang, S., Liu, C.-Y., Lin, S.-Y. (2016) Tailoring enzyme-like activities of gold nanoclusters by polymeric tertiary amines for protecting neurons against oxidative stress. Small 12:4127-35.
- Liu, W.-H., Chuang, H.-L., Huang, Y.-T., Wu, C-C., Chou, G.-T., Wang, S.*, and Tsai, Y.-C*. (2016) Alteration of behavior and monoamine levels attributable to Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 in germ –free mice. Behav. Brain Res. 298:202-209.
- Liu, Y.-W., Liu, W.-H., Wu, C.-C., Juan, Y.-C., Wu, Y.-C., Tsai, H.-P., Wang, S.* and Tsai, Y.-C.* (2016) Psychotropic effects of Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 in early life-stressed and naïve adult mice. Brain Res. 1631:1-12.
- Liao, T.-C., Lien, Y.-T., Wang, S., Huang, S-.L., Chen, C.-Y. (2016) Comorbidity of atopic disorders with autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J. Pediatr. 171:248-55.
- Wu, W.-C., Luh, D.-L., Chiang, Y.-C., Huang, C.-C., Wang, S., Wu, C.-C., Hurng, B.-S., Chang, Y.-H., Yen, L.-L., Chang, H.-Y. (2016) Reciprocal relationship between unhealthy diet and depressive symptoms from childhood to adolescence: 10-year follow-up of the Child and Adolescent Behaviors in Long-Term Evolution study. Public Health Nutri. 19:1654-65.
- Fang, S.-Y, Wang. S., Huang, N., Yeh, H.-H., Chen C.-Y. (2015) Prenatal Infection and Autism Spectrum Disorders in Childhood: A Population-Based Case–Control Study in Taiwan. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 29:307-16.
- Mosa AJ, Wang S, Tan YF, Wojtowicz JM (2015) Organotypic slice cultures for studies of postnatal neurogenesis. J Vis Exp. 2015 Mar 4;(97). doi: 10.3791/52353.
- Lin, Y.-L. and Wang, S.* (2014) Prenatal LPS exposure increases depression-like behaviors and reduces hippocampal neurogenesis in adult rats. Behav. Brain Res. 259:24-34.
- Lin, Y.-L., Lin, S.-Y. and Wang, S.* (2012) Prenatal lipopolysaccharide exposure increases anxiety-like behaviors and enhances stress-induces corticosterone responses in adult rats. Brain Behav. Immun. 26:459-68.
- Ho, Y.-C. and Wang, S.* (2010) Adult neurogenesis is reduced in the dorsal hippocampus of rats displaying learned helplessness behavior. Neuroscience 171: 153-61.
- Wu, H.H. and Wang, S.* (2010) Strain differences in the chronic mild stress animal model of depression. Behav. Brain Res. 213: 94-102.
- Wang, S., Yan J.Y., Lo, Y.K., Carvey, P.M. and Ling, Z. (2009) Dopaminergic and serotoninergic deficiencies in young adult rats prenatally exposed to the bacterial lipopolysaccharide. Brain Res. 1265:196-204.
- Winocur, G., Wojtowicz, J.M., Sekeres, M., Snyder, J.S., Wang, S. (2006) Inhibition of neurogenesis interferes with hippocampus-dependent memory function. Hippocampus 16:296-304.
- Wang, S., Kee, N., Preston, E. and Wojtowicz, J.M. (2004) Electrophysiological correlates of neural plasticity compensating for ischemia-induced damage in the hippocampus. Exp. Brain Res. 165:250-260.
- Wang, S.; Jia, Z., Roder, J.C. and Murphy, T.H. (2002) AMPA receptor mediated miniature synaptic calcium transients in GluR2 null mice. J. Neurophysiol. 88:29-40.
- Wang, S., Scott, B.W., and Wojtowicz, J.M. (2000) Heterogenous properties of dentate granule neurons in the adult rat. J. Neurobiol. 42:248-57.
- 2017/3/26 Animal studies of the potential of psychobiotics in the treatment of major depression. Invited by The Association of Anatomists of the Republic of China, The 31th Joint Annual Conference of Biomedical Science
- 2013/3/23 The Potential Roles of Adult Neurogenesis and Maternal Infection in the Etiology of Major Depression. Invited by The Association of Anatomists of the Republic of China, The 28th Joint Annual Conference of Biomedical Science